About ten years ago, Garrett Reid passed away. The young son of the then Philadelphia Eagles head coach and current Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was 29 years old.
Garrett was one of five children to the Chiefs head coach. His siblings are Britt, Spencer, Crosby and Drew. Garrett unofficially served as a strength and conditioning coach for the Eagles.
How did Garrett Reid die?
A toxicology report confirmed that the young man died due to an accidental overdose of heroin. The family was aware of the young man’s long-standing battle with drug addiction that sadly claimed his life in October 2012.
The coach’s son was reportedly in recovery from the addiction at the time, though some around him feared he might have relapsed. District Attorney John Morganelli of Northampton County said:
“We are confident today that Mr. Reid’s death was the result of a self-injected lethal dose of heroin.”
The family released a statement as well:
“These results sadly confirmed what we had expected all along. We understood that Garrett’s long-standing battle with addiction was going to be difficult. He will, however, always have our family’s love and respect for the courage he showed in trying to overcome it. In the end, we take comfort in our faith and know that he’s in a better place.”
The family just passed the ten-year anniversary of Garrett’s passing.
Tragically, it was the kind of death that Garrett desperately wanted to avoid. In 2007, he was sentenced for a high-speed car crash in which he injured another driver. He was reportedly on drugs during it and told the judge when he was sentenced, according to ESPN
“I don’t want to die doing drugs. I don’t want to be that kid who was the son of the head coach of the Eagles, who was spoiled and on drugs and OD’d and just faded into oblivion.”
Police said he was using heroin, among other things.
What happened to Garrett Reid in college?
Reid was found in his dorm room at Lehigh University, the school the Eagles were holding training camp at at the time. Investigators at the time revealed that the young man was found with a used syringe and a spoon in his room.
He also had a gym bag with several unused syringes in his room. Unfortunately, this college is where Garrett met his untimely demise.